Hey! Are you the one we’re looking for?
We’re looking for a Data Analyst to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business. When you come work for us, here’s what you’ll find:
Work that is awesome. We are serious about working with clients who are changing the world and alleviating suffering. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, and pretty cool people who get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
A critical, fearless approach. Every day we say and do the things that must be said and done, even if the consequences aren’t exactly a barrel of laughs.
Creativity that just won’t quit. We want you to bring your wacky self to work every day. Not just because it’s fun, but because the craziest idea just might be the thing that works.
So that’s us. Now about the work…
We run online advocacy and fundraising campaigns. Great big ones you read about in the news and tiny ones you’ve never heard of that are saving lives. Lots of politically progressive groups – Planned Parenthood, League of Conservation Voters, PETA, Sierra Club, etc. Cultural organizations we love, like the Smithsonian and Central Park Conservancy. And many causes that are working in the most dire situations in the world such as the American Red Cross and Oxfam.
Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to recruit activists, influence policy, raise money, hold corporations accountable, make the most of news moments, and leave no crazy idea unconsidered that might engage regular people in the world around them.
Critical to our success is our never-ending drive to analyze and optimize everything we do. We are data-driven to the bones. And we are growing our team of data specialists. Here’s what you’d be responsible for as a member of M+R’s Data Team:
- Producing return on investment analyses, running regressions and building audience models.
- Training staff on M+R’s proprietary monthly reporting system, including data collection processes and procedures. You’d help develop and improve that system when needed.
- Analyzing client data to evaluate different list-building, fundraising, advocacy, and advertising strategies to create actionable recommendations that improve results.
- Working in CRMs like Luminate, Salsa, Blue State Digital, and Engaging Networks to figure out the best ways to get the data clients need to make decisions.
- Mining and analyzing client web analytics to create useful reports, establish key metrics, and identify gaps in data tracking.
- Playing an important role in M+R’s annual Benchmarks report, collecting data from many of the world’s leading non-profits, analyzing results, checking and re-checking for errors, and making sure it’s as awesome as possible when we publish it.
- Running surveys, including reviewing questions, setting them up, and analyzing the results (including crosstabs).
And then there’s you…
- You have 2-3 years of relevant data analysis experience and have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in statistics, engineering, computer science, math, information sciences or a related field.
- You have a strong understanding of and experience with databases, spreadsheets, and statistics.
- You are an expert with Excel, SQL, and have used statistical software packages.
- You can distill data into meaningful analysis, pulling out the most salient points that answer the questions we’re asking.
- You know your way around Chi-Square Tests, T-Tests, and other tools to plan and evaluate tests.
- You’re not afraid to speak your mind – you continually suggest new ideas or ways to improve on old ideas or processes.
- You’re detail-oriented! There are lots of metrics. You are the person that spots the discrepancy no one else sees.
- You’re wildly curious about what’s next in the world-changing-business and game to help us get there.
- You’re a true believer. You want to change the world. You know that data can make that happen.
It would be great if you knew these things, too:
- Some of the CRMs mentioned above (Luminate, BSD, Engaging Networks, Salsa).
- Google Analytics.
- Experience working with nonprofits or political organizations.
Salary, Benefits, and Some Perks
One of our core values as a firm is that we take care of each other. Every employee shares in our success and in our profits, and we offer a great salary and benefits package:
- Three week’s vacation to start, as well as sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with employer match;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care and transit;
- Professional development stipend;
- There IS such a thing as a free lunch here – on Fridays!
- Weekly “beerstorms” where we cook up our most creative campaign ideas;
- All kinds of non-traditional benefits depending on which office you’re in. Records and record players. Snack breaks. Mannequins. Animatronic ponies. It just gets weirder and cooler and fun-ner from here.
The Fine Print
You can work from one of the following M+R offices:
- 11 Park Pl., New York, NY
- 1901 L St, NW Washington, DC
- 100 Bush St., San Francisco, CA
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter detailing why you’d like to work for us to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Data Analyst” and your preferred location. No calls please. M+R will only contact candidates to schedule an interview.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer; people of color, people with disabilities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, sex, marital or parental status, disability, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis prohibited by law.
M+R is 100 smart people who help nonprofits achieve real, lasting change. We mobilize supporters, raise money, and move the media, the public, and decision-makers. We only work with clients we believe in. We take risks. We work hard. We’re leaders, we’re organizers, and we don’t stop until we win.