Hello! Is it you we’re looking for?
We’re on the hunt for an online organizer to work on winning issue campaigns for one of the best progressive firms in the do-gooder business.
At M+R, here’s what you’ll find:
Work that is awesome. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, dorky/cool people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
A critical, fearless approach. Every day we say and do the things that must be said and done, even if it’s not always the easiest path.
Creativity that just won’t quit. We want you to bring your weird, real self to work every day. Not just because it’s fun, but because the craziest idea just might be the thing that works.
So that’s the people. Now, about the work…
We run online/offline advocacy campaigns. Great big ones you read about in the news and tiny ones you’ve never heard of that are saving lives. Lots of progressive groups working on everything from economic justice to climate change to global poverty — think Planned Parenthood, League of Conservation Voters, PETA, Sierra Club, labor, health groups, etc. We also help amazing nonprofits raise money and build relationships with their supporters, from front-line aid groups like the American Red Cross and Oxfam to cultural institutions like the Smithsonian and Central Park Conservancy.
The client manager is the center of the world for 2-3 nonprofits, project managing the day-to-day for your clients, and keeping your crack team focused and humming along. You’d be working closely not just with our 50-strong team of online campaigners but also with M+R’s experts in media advocacy, field, coalition building, messaging, social media.
Day-to-day, you’ll be figuring out how to drive the narrative, influence policy, hold corporations accountable, recruit activists, make the most of news moments, and leave no crazy idea unconsidered that might engage regular people in the world around them.
Generate ideas. Work with your team and clients to think up online/offline strategies that complement what’s happening in the press and in the field.
Manage integrated advocacy campaigns. Run the day to day operations of both online-only and online/offline campaigns that move thousands or millions of people to meaningful action, using every sort of digital marketing imaginable — email, social, digital ads, microsites, big data, tricky new tools, and good old boots on the ground.
Drive projects and keep a team running. Stay in close contact with clients throughout the day via email and phone about all the big and little things going on, lead weekly check-in calls and present at big strategy meetings. Manage the deliverables for the 2-4 people on each client team, managing down and up to get done what needs to be done.
Stretch your creative chops. Develop irresistible action alerts, petitions, social media creative, microsites, video scripts, shareable images, and new forms of media that haven’t been invented yet — all to build movements, not just create noise.
Oversee technical production. Oversee the many details involved in launching campaigns using your client’s CRM.
Crunch the numbers. Distill email, web, advertising and social campaign data into the important lessons that could change how a campaign performs.
And then there’s you…
You have 5+ years experience benching your share of issue campaigns (and possibly also electoral campaigns) and know what it takes to win — not just get noticed.
- You’re an organizer. You’ve run projects on your own, getting what you need from others on your team to make it all happen.
- You’ve developed and implemented email, social, and advertising strategies that drive results not just online but in the field and earned media.
- You’ve got some real-world skills as an organizer — knocking on doors, cutting turf, drafting press releases, or herding canvassers — and a knack for understanding politics, writ large and small.
- You can hold a room…and a conference call. You know how to develop an agenda, run a meeting, and boil a wide-ranging conversation down to a nice, clear set of action items..
- The idea of winning an important issue is what gets you out of bed in the morning.
- You’re wildly curious about what’s next in the field of online organizing, and you’re game to help us get there.
Salary, Benefits, and Some Perks
We offer a great salary and benefits package:
- Three weeks’ vacation as well as sick and personal days (which increase as you grow with the firm);
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with employer match;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care and transit;
- Free lunches on Fridays;
- Weekly “beerstorms” where we cook up our most creative campaign ideas;
- All kinds of non-traditional benefits based on the whims of your weirdo coworkers. Record players and vinyl. Mannequins. Freeze-dried fruit snacks from outer space. Animatronic ponies. Drag cats.
This position can be located in any of the following M+R offices:
- 11 Park Pl., New York, NY
- 1901 L St., NW, Washington, DC
- 100 Bush St, San Francisco, CA
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter detailing why you’d like to work for us to email@example.com with the subject line “Client Manager, Online Advocacy” and your preferred location. No calls please. M+R will only contact candidates to schedule an interview.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer; people of color, people with disabilities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, sex, marital or parental status, disability, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis prohibited by law.
M+R is 100 smart people who help nonprofits achieve real, lasting change. We mobilize supporters, raise money, and move the media, the public, and decision-makers. We only work with clients we believe in. We take risks. We work hard. We’re leaders, we’re organizers, and we don’t stop until we win.